Family love – and Ollie takes flight!

Generally, I get a little nervous for book launches – you never know who will be able to make it, if anybody! This time around, I had my entire family to help out, and it was wonderful! Don, Liam and Shannon cooked up a Mothers’ Day/Book Launch surprise for me, and the kids flew in from Toronto for a gloriously perfect three-day weekend. There’s no better gift – if your kids live away, you know what I mean!

13199419_10154767233504186_676542386_o

Bachman’s Beach, Lunenburg County, NS -having both Liam and Shannon show up on a surprise visit from Toronto – best Mothers’ Day gift ever! Thanks, Don!

13214436_10154767234974186_2145263091_o

Dock in – check! Liam and Charlie.

And, thanks to The Box of Delights Bookshop, friends and family, SKY PIG is officially launched, and Ollie has taken flight. It’s really fun to read this book aloud, but I need to work on my piggy snorting…

P1010553

Door prize, courtesy of daughter Shannon, who was also photographer.

P1010536

Friend, neighbour, and on book launch days – craft lady and publicity manager, Karen – she’s the best!

P1010541

Piggy cookies – it got easier after I’d decorated the first few dozen – they were a hit!

P1010549

I don’t know too many people with small children these days, but I’m grateful to the keen parents who bring their kids to book launches.

SkyPig_LookInside_1

Here’s Ollie (and Jack)!

Thank you to everybody who supports me, as both a writer and a human being – after having a new book out for four consecutive years, I’m starting to feel a little guilty asking people to come out and help me celebrate – but it truly means a lot to me when you do, both in person or in spirit through sending along your good wishes. I hope you have a good friend, like Ollie’s boy, Jack, to help make ALL your dreams come true!

14 comments for “Family love – and Ollie takes flight!

1. May 10, 2016 at 8:40 am

Congratulations, Jan! Looks like a fabulous launch day/weekend.

• May 15, 2016 at 11:44 am

Thanks, Sarah – hope you and Dale had fun seeing the details in Ollie and Jack’s story!

2. May 10, 2016 at 10:14 am

How wonderful! Ollie deserved a great send off. It is always extra special when family shows up for support. I LOVE the cookies.

• May 15, 2016 at 11:43 am

Thanks, Darlene – I’m enjoying your photos from Europe, and wishing I was there!

3. May 10, 2016 at 4:01 pm

That was quite a surprise. So glad you got to celebrate with all the family. 🙂

4. May 10, 2016 at 4:36 pm

The piggy cookies were a big hit with kids and adults! Congratulations!

Nothing like family to make these events even more special. Looks like the weekend went great! 🙂

5. May 11, 2016 at 9:30 am

Congratulations!!! And what a perfect Mother’s Day/Book baby launch!!!

• May 14, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for sharing in my delight, Vijaya – at least my kids both live in Toronto, only a 2-hour flight:)

6. May 11, 2016 at 9:40 am

That looks like a fun (and delicious) launch party! Congrats!

• May 24, 2016 at 6:46 am

Hi, Katie – for some reason your comment ended up in my spam folder, but thanks for reading!

7. mirkabreen
    May 11, 2016 at 12:20 pm

What an all around glorious celebration of your many facets, Jan. Perfect!
    P.S. I want that marzipan pig door-prize 😛

• May 14, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Funny – I think it’s the rubber dog toy you’re talking about. Missing my kids this week, but happy to have another launch behind me…

8. August 23, 2016 at 8:23 am

Just dropping by – late to comment but I wasn’t late for your launch! It was fun, and you did so well reading to those excited children. With your teaching experience you know how to do it right and not lose them.
    This is such a wonderful book; congratulations again, Jan.

• August 24, 2016 at 8:39 am

Glad you enjoyed yourself, Lynn – I’m so happy to have a new picture book to share with kids!