I READ CANADIAN DAY, February 19, 2020

Hope everybody finds 15 minutes (or more) this Wednesday (or any day) to read a Canadian-authored book! I’ll be visiting  the elementary school in my hometown of Wolfville, Nova Scotia tomorrow and sharing this little guy with the primary and grade one students.

And some recent comments that made me smile, in the “kids-say-the-darndest-things” way:

*10-year-old boy: “That (RAINBOWS IN THE DARK, 2005) was my favorite book when I was in nursery school. I used to ask them to read it to us every day. And I was so excited when I got to school and found it in the library.” And then his grandmother bought a copy for another grandchild:)

*Teacher: “Are you Jan L. Coates? Two of my grade 7 students just read TALKING to THE MOON, and they said it was amazing. I can’t wait to read it.”

*Student (age 11): “I’m writing a book. When you’re writing, does your own story ever make you cry?”

Me (enthusiastically): “That’s my goal in life!”

Another student (age 13): “That’s because you have empathy for your character. She’s a real person to you.”

Happy reading!

8 comments for “I READ CANADIAN DAY, February 19, 2020

1. mirkabreen
    February 17, 2020 at 8:43 pm

I’ll make a point to read a Canadian author this Wednesday, be it Margaret Atwood, L. M. Montgomery, or Jan Coates 😀

• February 23, 2020 at 7:41 pm

Thanks, Mirka. Hope you found something good!

2. February 18, 2020 at 7:41 am

Happy Read Canadian Day! I am proud to be a Canadian author. I love what kids say to us when we visit schools. Your quotes are precious.

• February 23, 2020 at 7:43 pm

I don’t get a lot of kid feedback, so it’s always very welcome:) Hope you’re enjoying the sunshine. We just arrived on Saint Simons Island, GA, and it’s still a little chilly – 15 deg. celsius , but hopefully warming up…

3. davewatsonauthor
    February 18, 2020 at 8:08 am

How wonderful to get comments like that about your books. Makes all the challenges writing and getting published worth it. Thanks for sharing!

• February 23, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Thanks, Dave. Writing in isolation being the norm, it is nice to visit with readers sometimes. Hope your writing is going well. Was your piece in the Antigonish journal yet?

4. February 18, 2020 at 7:56 pm

Those comments are priceless! I will try to remember to pick out Canadian authors. Of course, I love L.M. Montgomery. I recently read Pippa by Design, which is set in Toronto, Canada, but I don’t believe the author is Canadian.
    Thanks for bringing this day to our attention!

• February 23, 2020 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for stopping by Jenn (Jennie?). Canadian kids don’t often know the names of any Canadian authors; hence this new day to celebrate!